2016 Outfitter of the Year-Kelly Semple
Alberta Professional Outfitters Society is proud to present the 2016 Outfitter of the Year Award to Kelly Semple.
The receiver of this tribute is an Alberta outfitter that is a role model to all outfitters as far as the standards and ethics and quality of their operation that drives that outfitters; day to day, month to month, and year to year actions in all aspects of their outfitting business. Not only is the recipient of this award a role model to our industry but also a role model to their guides. Let’s face it; part of our continued growth and improvement as an industry is the ongoing transition of our guides to becoming outfitters.
This year’s APOS Outfitter of the Year will hit the quarter century mark in this industry next spring. 25 years as an outfitter starting back in 1992. The business grew quickly focussing primarily on whitetail hunts but also offering Black Bear, Elk, Moose, Mule Deer and Wolf hunts. From the beginning, it wasn’t just about a high-quality hunt but much focus was put on the parts of every hunt that we all have control of. The accommodations, the quality of the equipment, the skills of the guides, and the preparation and organization of the entire operation. From beginning to end, airport to airport, great effort and service, and in this particular operation-meals to die for!
What really separate’s the APOS Outfitter of the Year from the “herd” is not only what they are doing for their own outfitting business but what they are doing for all Alberta outfitters, for wildlife conservation, and the work they do with other stakeholders province wide.
This year’s recipient was not only an Outfitter the last 25 years but was also:
- 1999 to 2001 Executive Director of the Alberta Conservation Association.
- 2001 thru 2015 she Executive Director of Hunting for tomorrow; where among other things she worked on programs such as the Outdoor Women’s Seminars, Hunt of a Lifetime and Hunting for Tomorrow mentorship programs.
- Served almost every year she’s been an outfitter on the Boards and Committees of the POAA & APOS.
- 1997 ITV Women of Vision Award
- The Laura Swan Award of Excellence for a provincial training initiative.
- Featured in the “Smart Women” Canadian Entrepreneurs – Best Selling Book by Barbara Thrasher and Madelon Smid.
- Appeared on the cover of numerous magazines and has been featured in too many articles to list at this time.
- 2005 recipient of The Diana Award from the Alberta Hunter Education Instructor’s Association.
- 2007 recipient of WISE Awards Alva Bair Memorial Award in honor of contribution to the cause of conservation.
- 2008 recipient of the Government of Alberta Order of the Bighorn to recognize outstanding contributions to Fish and Wildlife conservation by individuals, organizations and corporations.
- 2009 she recipient of the Alberta Bowhunters Association Presidents Award.
- 2009 recipient of Pope & Young Club's Conservation Award presented to recognize achievement by a person or organization in the promotion of the future of bowhunting and hunting, the image of bowhunting and hunting, and the conservation and wise use of our natural resources.
The APOS Outfitter of the year is more than just a solid upstanding outfitter running a quality operation. It’s also someone who gives back to our industry by involving themselves in committees, Board positions, and other ways they can help our industry.
Kelly Semple – The 2016 APOS Outfitter of the Year!